Thursday, June 01, 2006

Maine vs. Idaho

Let's be serious, folks...there's really no comparing the two. If I'd been writing this post say, three or four years ago, it would have had a different tone to it. I moved to Idaho as a newlywed, leaving behind all that was familiar and comfortable to me. Probably the hardest thing I have ever done. Now, nearly 5 years later, my reasons for loving Maine are much clearer to me, and the same goes for Idaho.

When I think of Maine, I think of Mum, Dad, Kevin, Rachel, and Violet. Next are my other dear family members. Jen. Topsham. Popham Beach. The smell of salty air. That one wind in the road on the way to Searsport, along Route One, where you get a glimpse of the ocean and can't help but think: Perfection. Camden Harbor. Pine trees. Freeport. Portland. Lobster rolls. The Village Candle outlet. Christmas Tree Shops. Reny's (those are for you, Mum!). Running through downtown Belfast, early in the morning. Far too many great childhood memories to mention. I think my best experience, pre-marriage, was probably between 1999-2001, when I lived in the Belfast area by myself. That is when I learned the most about myself. Climbing Mt. Katahdin with Jen. Running the Beach to Beacon and realizing, I am an athlete. Okay, now I want to hop on a plane to Maine....

Now, onto Idaho. The first thing that comes to mind: Wide Open Spaces. Untouched land for as far as the eye can see. Sagebrush. Mild winters. Dry heat. The Boise Farmer's Market. The Cherry Festival. The North End. Vineyards. The Shakespeare Festival. McCall. Snowcapped mountains. The Boise Co-op. Lew & Roberta. Joy. My girls at the office. Rex and Kasey, and now, sweet Banzer. Starbucks, in downtown Eagle. The Scented Cottage. Walking in downtown Boise, on my lunch break. Shige. The thing about Idaho is, my list grows every day. The Oregon coast is next door. I can't wait to see it. So is Utah. I want to go there, too. I've recently begun to realize how much there is around me, that I cannot wait to see with my family.

I struggled for a long time with the fact that I live "so far away" from Maine. Recently, I've been looking at things in a much different light - - yes, my relatives and some of my dear friends are on the east coast. Is it hard? Yes. Do I miss them every single day? Of course...more than I could possibly explain. But there is also so much for me to be thankful for in Idaho. Beauty beyond description. An endless list of things to see, and places to go. Most importantly, a growing list of treasured memories I am making with my family. I've said it before, but I will say it again. Life is good.

5 comments:

Kate D. said...

Its great that you have come to love Idaho too. I myself have lived in New Jersey, Alaska and London but nothing feels as right as driving across the bridge into Kittery and coming home.

Joy said...

I remember your longings for Maine several years ago. You have truly adapted to your surroundings and have made a wonderful peaceful home here in Idaho - a task you would do no matter what state you lived in.

I don't know how I would do if uprooted from my Idaho life and moved across the country. It would be hard, for sure, but I pray I would be as accepting and adapting as you.

kirsten said...

I am really enjoying reading your blog..reminds me about how I felt about Calif vs. Cape Cod. I also remember your cool apt. in Camden- such a great location you had. I wish I had gotten a chance to visit Idaho (and esp. you!) when I lived in Calif. Hopefully someday I'll get out there and see how beautiful it is.

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

Blog Widget by LinkWithin