Sunday, November 04, 2007

Sunday Dinner, #1

For quite some time now, I've been wanting to start serving a nice Sunday lunch around 2:00, and then just have dessert in the evening. It probably sounds a little strange, but my line of thinking is that I love making dessert, but don't often do it, because after a big meal, trying to stuff dessert in is simply adding insult to injury. Before you gasp - - no, I'm not going to feed my wee ones chocolate cake for dinner every Sunday evening - - they'll get their regular balanced meal. Steve will probably have a bite to eat, too. As for me, I intend to just savor a big slice of whatever it is I happen to make that week. This week, it was supposed to be oatmeal pecan pie, but I got sidetracked and never made it today. However, we did have our 2:00 dinner:

Slow Cooker Pork and Sauerkraut
4 large potatoes, cubed
32 oz. bag of sauerkraut, drained
1 large onion, chopped
1 large Granny Smith apple, chopped
2 tbsp. packed brown sugar
1 tsp. caraway seeds
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 1/2 lb. boneless pork loin roast

Put potatoes in slow cooker. Combine the remaining ingredients (except pork) in a bowl, mix well. Place half of the sauerkraut mixture over the potatoes. Place pork roast on top of it, and then cover the pork with the remaining sauerkraut mixture. Cook on low for 6-7 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.

The roast was really good and I will definitely be making it again. I made a loaf of beer bread to go along with it.

*The other news for today is that Griffin took his first "real" steps tonight. He's been taking one or two steps here or there over the last week or so, but I classify what he did this evening as full-fledged walking. The reason I know this is because I went in my bedroom and bawled my eyes out after he did it. I can't believe how quickly his is turning into a "big boy" - - it's killing me!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I bet Steve is glad to have some good home cooking, now that you're back. The pork roast sounds delicious.

Has Griffin practiced more walking today? He was so close to walking while he was here in Maine!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin