Monday, May 15, 2006

Recipe Monday: Mum's Famous Whoopie Pies

Anyone who is ANYONE back in New England knows what a whoopie pie is. Just about all moms know how to make them, and you can frequently find them at your local Mom & Pop store back east, usually located at the checkout counter in a basket, along with homemade fudge or cream horns. However, in Idaho, nobody has ever heard of whoopie pies. Can you believe that? My brother-in-law, Rex, loves whoopie pies more than anyone I know. Today is his birthday, and I make him a batch each year on his birthday, so this is what I will be baking today. My mom makes THE best whoopie pies in the world, and here is her recipe:

Cream together:
6 tbsp. shortening
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Blend in:
2 cups flour
5 level tbsp. cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

Drop by heaping tablespoons full onto a non-stick cookie sheet. It wouldn't hurt to grease the sheet lightly, but it isn't necessary. Bake at 425 for 7 minutes. Remove to cooling rack.

Filling: (I usually double the recipe for the filling, because I like A LOT of filling)
3/4 cup shortening
6 tbsp. marshmallow fluff
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Spread a heaping amount of filling on one cookie, top with another. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin