Friday, March 09, 2007

Keeping Busy

I can't believe how quickly this past week flew by! Before I quit my job, I thought I would have days where I was bored, or that time would drag by...not the case at all. In fact, it seems that time has been passing by much too quickly. The boys and I were super busy this week, and the weekend will be busy as well. Some of the highlights were story time at Barnes & Noble, Music & Movement at the library yesterday, and spending lots and lots of time outside. It reached a high of 63 this week, and will be up to 65 on Sunday. I've been hard at work getting our yard in shape for spring, and it is looking good. Camden has always loved being outside, and I was happy to learn that Griffin loves it, too. I was able to just put him in his bouncy seat under a tree, and he was as happy as can be.

I picked up a new hobby this week...making baby food. I love it! It is so easy, and so much cheaper (and healthier) than jarred baby food. For example, two containers of organic sweet potato costs $1.29. Yesterday, I made 24 servings of organic sweet potato for $1.87. All I have to do is steam whatever it is I am making, puree in my food processor, freeze in ice cube trays overnight, and then pop them out and store them in freezer bags.
This evening, I made peas. That was a bit more labor intensive than the sweet potatoes, as I had to press them through a fine strainer after I'd pureed them, in order to get the right consistency. Still, it was a cinch. On Sunday, I'll prepare some apples. The boys and I went to the Co-op this morning and got some organic fruits and veggies so I can keep experimenting. Once I have a frozen stash, all I have to do is remove the number/variety of cubes I'll be serving to Griffin each day.

As you can imagine, Camden and I have been in high gear, getting ready for St. Patrick's day. Yesterday, I made some great Creme de Menthe Brownies.
I got the recipe from Quick & Simple magazine, but the recipe actually comes from Paula Deen's "Celebrate!" cook book. I had to go ahead and freeze the whole batch, lest I eat them all by myself. I've got some fun things planned for Camden next Saturday, and I've picked out a yummy-sounding brisket recipe, along with a couple of new sides to try.
Steve has drill this weekend, so we are on our own for the next couple of days. Tomorrow, I'll be heading to a Family Readiness training (for the Army). This is my first training, so I'm looking forward to learning more about what I'll be doing as the chairwoman. Griffin will tag along with me. Camden, on the other hand, is in for quite an exciting day. Since Steve wasn't able to take Camden himself, he arranged for his brother to take Camden to "Monster Jam" at the Idaho Center. This is a huge monster truck show. The poor boy has been beside himself with anticipation all week, so I can only imagine how excited he will be tomorrow.
I love, love, love being a stay-at-home mom. Certainly, it is the hardest I've ever worked in my life, but I just love being with these two little boys. I've been feeling extra thankful lately that Steve works so darn hard, so that I can be at home. Life is good!
Griffin is obsessed with hair lately. Pulling it, that is.

3 comments:

kirsten said...

Hi heath
Kudos to you for making your own baby food! That's something I always thought I would do but never got around to it. I love your blog and hearing all about your life...I am so glad to hear you love being a stay at home mom- it is the most challenging job but oh so rewarding! All of a sudden I am also having such a blast with it...you need to pass some of your St. Patrick Day ideas my way...I definitely will need more help with the holiday stuff now that the twins are getting older and can appreciate it.
Love
KE

Anonymous said...

The last photo of the boys is definitely a "keeper"...so cute. Yes, a stay-at-home mom is a hard but rewarding position.

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of the boys wrestling! Camden is such a good big brother. I know he's anxious for Griffin to play with him, but he has no idea what he's in for!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin