Monday, March 26, 2007

I Never Know What to Call These Kind of Posts...

I'm talking about the kind of post where I really don't have a specific topic to write about, but I still feel like writing. I tend to think of them more as "update" posts, I guess. To get right to it, I finally took Griffin to the doctor today, since he's had a cold for nearly a week now and doesn't seem to be getting any better. Okay, not exactly - - the actual reason for taking him to the doctor was because he spent most of last night screaming, so Steve and I knew something else had to be up. He woke up numerous times in the night and cried hysterically, and we just couldn't console him. That would be due to the fact that he has a double ear infection, poor little guy. So, he has started antibiotics and we are hoping that by this time tomorrow night, he'll be feeling a lot better. Nurse Kathy tossed him up on the scales while we were there, and he's up to 16 lbs. now, which made me chuckle because that is what Camden weighed when he was 8 weeks old (Griffin is now 6 months old). Two very different boys we have.

Camden is full of it, per usual. He is very happy to have a new friend named Josie - - she lives next door in our rental. She's six and is rather good for Camden in that she is a bit bossier than he is. They spent most of the weekend pretending that they were Ariel and Eric from the Little Mermaid. On Saturday, Camden informed me that they would be getting married "any minute now". Tonight, while we were eating dinner, Camden said, "I hope Josie missed me today." He went so far as to tell Josie (several times) that he loves her, and as you can probably imagine, she shot back with the "boys are so gross!" look.

A couple of weeks ago, at music class, I struck up a conversation with one of the moms who has been attending the class as long as we have. Come to find out, we have all kinds of things in common, and she lives right down the road. We've gotten together a couple of times already, and she and her two boys will be coming over tomorrow for some Easter crafts. After meeting her, Steve and I had a good laugh when I called him up at work and said, "Guess what? I have a friend, I have a friend!" It is sad but true that Terri (my new friend!!) is the first real friend I've made in the town I live in, since moving here almost 6 years ago. Egads! I'm going to go ahead and blame that on the fact that I have spent most of that time commuting and working in a different town, so until I started staying home, I wasn't really home that much.

Steve is extremely busy, but that isn't anything new! He won't be traveling again until the end of April, so that is great. He is in the middle of building a new, very large sandbox for Camden, which Camden is thrilled about.

A few weeks ago, we noticed these really gross looking black things that kept appearing under the big tree in our back yard. Steve told me they were "owl pellets", which are basically the indigestible parts of things that owls eat. Since owls don't have teeth, they swallow their food (mice, moles, insects, birds, etc.) whole, and then digest the meat, but then regurgitate the bones, feet, beak, fur, etc. which come out as these black things that look sort of like pieces of coal with bones sticking out of them (gross, but true). This past Saturday, Steve found the actual owl, sleeping on a branch, high in the tree. I don't think I'll be able to get a picture of him, but I can see him when I go out and stand under the tree, and he's gorgeous. From what I can tell, he is a common barn owl. He's mostly white, with some tan spots. I hope he'll hang around for a while!

It is late and I must get to bed. I'm pretty sure Griffin will be having another restless night until those antibiotics kick in, so I'd better take advantage of the fact that he's asleep now!

4 comments:

kirsten said...

I can totally relate to what you said about making friends. It's really hard at this stage in life. I basically called Mike and said the same thing when I made a friend here after we moved. Would love to hear more about your easter craft ideas and also are you doing any special baking for Easter? I host playgroup that week so thinking of making a special cookie or something.
Thanks too for your potty training video idea...

Anonymous said...

I hope little Griffin's ear infection is on the mend. Poor little duffer.

I also hope to receive an invitation to Camden's impending wedding!

Hope you can get a picture of the owl. We hear owls quite often but have never seen one, I don't think. I'd give almost anything to hear a whippoorwill again. Haven't heard one in years.

Lisa said...

I'm glad you have a friend close by and the fact that she has little boys is SO Great! It is definitely hard to start new friendships, isn't it?

I hope Griffin is better soon. I'm sure by the time you read this the anitbiotic will have kicked in and he'll be back to his adorable, sleep through the night self!

Joy said...

I'm so glad you have met a new friend in town!!! I would be as excited as you.

Poor Griffin's little ears! Hope he's better soon and you get some sleep.

Too cute about Camden and "Ariel." Paco loves the big boy's girl friends.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin