Thursday, August 09, 2007

And Now For Something Completely Depressing...

I sit here at my keyboard tonight with a very heavy heart. I took my girl Sadie to the vet this afternoon, in order to obtain some guidance as to what I should do, in regards to her health. She was diagnosed with Cushing's Disease about three years ago, and at this point in time her quality of life seems to be declining. After talking with my vet, I have a clearer understanding of what is in store for Sadie, and he's advised me that the most humane thing to do would be to have her euthanized. The thought of it literally tears my heart out - - I can't even wrap my brain around it right now. I've been Sadie's "mom" for 10 years, ever since I inherited her from a former landlord, who no longer wanted her. She is Riley's best friend and that poor dog is going to be lost without her. On top of that, I have a small boy who will also struggle with Sadie's absence, and I don't even know how to begin to help him through it. I think what I am wresting with the most, though, is that I have not cared for her in the manner that she has deserved, since moving to Idaho. She (and Riley) have never exactly been welcomed here, and unfortunately I have been too weak of a person to do the right thing by her. I'll never forgive myself for it. Never. To those of you who do not know the whole story - - this post probably sounds a little nutty, not to mention, melodramatic. But those who know me best, and know how much I love my pups, then I know you understand.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Heather, I'm so sorry about Sadie. You're not being melodramatic...I dread the day when our sweet Lucy has to leave us. You'll be in my thoughts---

Anonymous said...

Dear Heather, I'm so sorry that your dealing with all of this, Sadie is your baby and it can't be easy. I've been there except for the part about explaining it to a child and it's difficult at best. You will do what you need to do for Sadie, for Camden, and for yourself, trust in your instincts, you're a wonderful person, don't beat yourself up for yesterday, concentrate on today. Much love, I'm thinking of you. Have Mom give you a big hug from me. Love, Lee

kirsten said...

Heather- So sorry about Sadie. That's such a hard thing to go through- thinking of you-
Kirsten

Blog Widget by LinkWithin