Wednesday, August 15, 2007


My folks left this morning, so the boys and I are spending a quiet day at home after an early trip to the airport. Their visit sped by much too quickly, I'm afraid. Luckily, we are headed to Maine in 61 days though (yes, we are counting!). I'll post some photos from their visit within the next day or two.

Life is quite different without Sadie around. I've gone to let her in the house, or have caught a glimpse of her out of the corner of my eye a couple of times, only to realize my mind was playing tricks on me. Camden has asked quite a few questions, but is dealing with it all very well. Riley, on the other hand, is having quite a hard time of it. It is an odd thing, watching an animal mourn for another animal. I think it dawned on Riley that something was wrong when he went to bed on Monday night, and Sadie wasn't there. He did lots of pacing and couldn't seem to find a place to sleep. Yesterday, he wasn't quite himself, but we kept him busy. Today, though, he is very quiet. He is a dog that normally loves spending the day outside, sleeping under the big blue spruce, but he's refusing to even go outside today. Sadie was the alpha dog, and I think Riley doesn't even know what to do without her. Hopefully in time he will come around and adjust to his new place in the family.

Today, I spent some time familiarizing myself with Camden's new EpiPen. Steve and I have been growing concerned, because each time Camden gets a bug bite, he develops a huge welt, and they seem to be getting worse with each bite. I had Griffin at the doctor yesterday (yes, ANOTHER double ear infection), and mentioned Camden's reaction to bug bites. The doctor promptly wrote out a prescription for the EpiPen and told me that most likely if he reacts that way to mosquito bites, he would probably be highly allergic to bee/wasp stings. So, from here on out we'll be carrying the EpiPen with us at all times. He will probably have to go through some allergy testing down the road at some point, too.

Griffin has mastered the low-crawl, and is now working on regular crawling. He has pulled himself up on furniture a couple of times, but isn't into doing that on a regular basis, although I'm sure it is only a matter of days. He is full of energy and doing so well. I cannot believe he is almost a year old. Where has the past year gone?

Steve is busy, as always, and is gearing up for some army commitments that will have him away from home quite a bit over the next two weeks. He has some travel coming up at the end of the month as well, so it looks as though we won't be seeing a whole lot of him until September.

My mother just called to say that they've landed safely back in Maine...oh, how we miss them already!

1 comment:

Joy said...

Glad your folks made it home safely. Perhaps we can get together soon? The big kids start school next Thursday. Hugs, my friend.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin