Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Somebody Has a Problem

Okay, so maybe this is payback for the countless times I've snickered to myself (or with my husband) about Other People's Children, or, Bizarre Parenting Choices Made by Friends. I dare say all parents are guilty of this - - perhaps witnessing something at a friend's house and thinking, "I would NEVER allow MY child to do THAT!" or "Can you believe THEY are raising their child in THAT manner?!?" I'm quite sure that I've had this smug attitude for awhile now - - most likely from when Camden entered the world, right on through until Griffin came along. Then, it happened. Maybe it is the utter lack of sleep. Maybe it is my "advanced maternal age". Perhaps it is the 3 1/2 year old cyclone, otherwise known as Son Number One. I don't know, but for whatever reason, I find myself doing all kinds of things I swore I would never do, just to get through the day.

I give you Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:Exhibit C:


For those of you who are wondering what the heck I am babbling on about, Griffin is a bit of a, oh, how shall I put this? A Mama's Boy. There. So now you know. He wants Mommy. All the time. Cries when I'm out of earshot or peripheral vision. It is getting bad. Thus, the various pictures of him strapped to my body, for I cannot hold the boy 24/7. Strapping him to my body only encourages him to want to be held more, you say? While the sensible part of my brain knows that, the part of my brain that hasn't slept through the night in nearly a year doesn't give a rat's you-know-what. And it isn't just the baby-wearing. There is a seemingly growing list of things I do, against my better judgment, in an effort to Preserve My Sanity and/or Prevent Both Boys From Melting Down At The Same Time. Having Griffin nap in his swing. Putting Griffin in bed with us because then I don't have to get my sorry behind out of bed x number of times during the night, when he wakes up. Bribing Camden with miscellaneous treats to ensure proper behavior in public. Sticking Camden in front of a video because I feel like my head will explode if I don't get a few minutes to myself. I could keep going, but I'd be here all night. Time to go. I need to give Griffin his nightly snort of chardonnay. I can't get over how much better he sleeps after he drinks it. Just kidding.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Amazing how we 'mellow' out after that second child comes along! You won't be judged by me - I'm on your side!! Do whatever it takes, Heath, whatever it takes!

Joy said...

I don't know Lisa but I totally agree - WHATEVER IT TAKES!!!

We've gone from allowing one 30 min video a day to _____ "whatever it takes" number of videos. And, I don't have my newborn here yet! YIKES!

No judgements here, friend.

kirsten said...

I agree with the other comments! Sesame Street is my best friend. Do what you have to do to survive! Forget what everyone else is doing-

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you and I both have baby boys who like their mommies a lot. Alex lives in the Baby Bjorn. He likes to do housework with me. Have you gotten good at picking up things with your toes? It's a new skill I've discovered : )

Anonymous said...

You can not spoil a baby! I am just glad that my son Clayton is only 23 pounds at 18 months. I am a slingaholic and just got a new one to carry him in called the hip hugger. He was up at night every 2-4 hours until he was 10 months old but since then has slept 12 hours a night. You are awesome and Griffin is a happy baby. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Heather, thanks for the comic relief! It's good to read about what's going in your life. Sorry to hear about your new appendage - I hear you can have surgery for those kind of growths at some point in your life. If I find a surgeon, I'll let you know...! Love, Mary

Blog Widget by LinkWithin