Thursday, January 04, 2007

Running

I've been thinking about running quite a bit, recently. The other day, when I was thinking about my hopes for 2007, I thought about how much I use to enjoy it. About seven years ago, I set a fitness goal of running in a 5K, although I had never run before, nor had I ever been particularly athletic. So, I found a race to run in (The Close to the Coast 5K in Freeport, Maine - - I remember it well) and started running. Slowly at first, but gradually building up to a respectable pace. I completed that first 5K, and I kept entering races, even running in Joan Benoit Samuelson's Beach to Beacon 10K. Then, I got married, moved to Idaho, gained some weight, and sort of forgot about exercising at all. In the spring of 2002, Steve and I started running together, and entered a couple of races. I started to get that old feeling again. I ran my last race in September of 2002, with my fastest 5K time ever. I got pregnant with Camden a week later, and have never run another step since. Sad, but true.
There is something about running that is hard to explain. I guess for me, the best way to sum it up is, as a kid, I never felt comfortable in gym class - - I didn't like group sports, felt awkward, uncoordinated, and above all else, self-conscious. I just never felt like I fit in. When I started running, though, I felt like an athlete for the first time in my life. When I would participate in a road race, I didn't stand around at the starting line wondering if I was the fastest, strongest, thinnest, etc. - - I was just a plain old runner, like everyone else there. Another thing that I have always loved about running is that familiar acknowledgement that occurs between two runners when they meet on the road (you'll know what I mean if you've experienced this yourself) - - a quick smile, nod, or wave, but it is more than that. It is almost like a secret handshake is contained within that knowing glance, that nobody else knows about, unless they run, too.
I ran for a few minutes this morning, while taking my morning walk on the treadmill. It felt a little weird, which I'm guessing comes from the fact that I am still carrying extra baby weight, as well as the fact that this old bod hasn't done much exercising this past year, until recently. There's a 5K in Boise in March - - the first "official" race of the spring...maybe I ought to enter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather, you can do it. You ARE an athlete. You have proven that you can do anything you set your mind to. I'm so proud of you.
love... dad

Joy said...

No maybe about it - ENTER - ENTER - ENTER!!!

Lisa said...

Go For It!! You can do it!! All of us blog readers will be cheering you on all the way!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin