Friday, November 02, 2012

Halloween Recap

Halloween snuck up on me a little faster than I would have liked, but the whole school year has been like that so far...time zipping by and before I know it I am nearly a day late and a dollar short. Ha! In all honesty, I am not really sure what happened to the month of October. I blinked and it was over. Anyway, we had a very busy week of Halloween activity, and I am pretty sure we squeezed every last ounce of fun out of it that we could.


First up was Downtown Trick-or-Treating. This happened the Saturday before Halloween. Local merchants post signs in their windows if they want to participate (just about everyone did), and kids can go trick-or-treating. A certain merchant made a stink about it last year so it was cancelled (didn't like all the kids milling about her business) but I guess she was the odd man out this year, because it was back on. There was a great turn-out and we had fun. I think it is a great idea for promoting community, and the whole point is to get people out an about, and in the downtown area.


Next came class parties. I snuck into both Cam and Griff's classrooms so I could snap a few pictures. Griffin's class cracked me up - - they were ultra-obedient and quiet as little mice. They ate their snacks, cleaned up after themselves, and barely said a word. Mrs. Buck has them well-trained.


Camden's class was more in the partying mood, but then again, they are fourth graders. He was a little disappointed with his costume (Indiana Jones), because he wasn't allowed to wear any of the "good stuff" from his costume to school (bull whip, gun, machete) per the school's 'no weapons' policy. I'm pretty sure he told me it was a 'total bummer'. I think he still looked extremely Indiana Jones-ish.


Before we set out for trick-or-treating, I made some Jack-o-lantern pizzas and the boys invited their best buddies from the next street over to play and eat pizza.


Kasey and I managed to take our annual costume photo. I loved her pirate costume! I'm afraid I ran out of time with my costume (it required some mending), so around 5:30 p.m. I settled on the standard witch get-up from my costume stash. I'll have to save the fancy costume for next year.


Our neighbor Lorie decorates her front porch very elaborately every year, and scares the dickens out of the neighborhood kids. This year, our dear Margaret got in on the fun with her (that's Margaret on the left, Lorie on the right).


Not to far from our house, there are a couple of houses that seem to be locked in an epic battle of out-doing each other. It is hysterical. The both have the most elaborate set-ups, complete with fog machines, spooky decor, and special effects. This house won hands-down though this year - - if you look closely, you can see that there are actual humans scattered about the yard, doing fire dancing. No joke. They even had a crazy stereo system hooked up to go with the fire dancing spectacular. It will be hard for their neighbors across the street to top that next year.
 
Approximately 24 hours after trick-or-treating had ended, Camden and Griffin each suffered an all-out post-Halloween meltdown. I believe it was the mass-quantities of sugar leaving their blood streams. I'm happy to report that they are back to normal now.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin