Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Sweet Succulents



I am currently having a bit of an obsession with succulent plants.  I just find them fascinating. There is such a wide variety and every time I see a new one, I want it! This is my little collection of succulents right now. I am going to stick with these and see if I can keep them alive before I go adding any more to the bunch. In the back left corner is a type of aloe plant called a Crocodile. The neat thing is, it grows "babies", much like Hens & Chicks. Next to the Crocodile is a recently repotted Hen from the little plant my mom gave me last year. It mass-produced babies over the past few months, and I separated bunch of them the other day, put some in bigger pots, started a couple of new pots, and gave some away. Front right corner is a jade plant. I am a little nervous about this one because I had a jade plant years ago, and I promptly killed it. Hopefully I will have better luck with this one. The most interesting one by far is front and center. This is called a Split Rock. It is native to Africa and as you can see, it almost looks like a little rock. These are actually a pair of succulent leaves, called a bi-lobe. In between the split, a new bi-lobe is growing. Eventually, the bigger bi-lobe will shrivel up and die, and the new one will take over. I have done a lot of reading on this particular plant, and it makes me nervous too -- they are easy to kill but I am determined not to! In the left front corner is a little succulent bowl...not really sure what the plants are, but I thought it was pretty.

Succulents are readily available at Home Depot and Lowes, and they are quite inexpensive. I have also found them at local garden stores and nurseries.  

6 comments:

Kate D. said...

Succulents are the only plants I have because they are so hard to kill. I've had 3 in my kitchen window for almost 10 years and I hardly ever remember to water them. I always obsess over the ones at Home Depot too.

Heather said...

Okay, this is good news for me! Although I have gotten better at caring for plants in the past couple of years, I'm going to take that as added insurance.

Nicky said...

Maybe they'll be a good variety for me to have too, since I tend to neglect plants so they don't tend to do very well in my possession! Great collection, Heather!

Heather said...

I definitely recommend the hens and chicks, Nicky...they seem to be virtually indestructable!

Jen Cantrell said...

How timely is your blog! I just bought two succulants myself at Trader Joe's (I know Kate, I know) where there was an amazing variety. I have always killed mine in the past but I am hoping, hoping, hoping that we both have good luck!!

Heather said...

Jen I will keep you posted. So far, so good for me. I don't have the best track record, but have been on the upswing with plants for about two years now. I hope I don't kill any of these...I love them!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin