Tuesday, March 08, 2011

A New Week and a New Attitude

Okay, I realize the new week started a couple of days ago, but I declare today the end of my Week Of Pouting. Yes, I've been feeling pretty down-in-the-dumps for the past week, but enough is enough already. I almost can't stand myself anymore. I know for me, once I get feeling that way, it is super-difficult to pull myself out of it. I've gotten better lately at just "going with it", but picking an end date to the drama. Today is that day, my friends.

I woke up with a new attitude, and was super efficient getting the boys ready for school. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are key days for me - - these are the two days of the week where, for 2.5 hours on each of these days, both boys are in school. So, I do lots of list-writing, planning, and thinking about how to spend those precious 2.5 hours. Errand-running without children? Exercise? Housework without interruption? Cup of coffee and a magazine? (That last one sounds the most appealing by far).

Today, I chose exercise first. When I returned from my walk, I realized I'd locked myself out of the house. Unfortunately, this was all my overtired, emotionally-drained little psyche needed, in order to have a big ol' meltdown. Once I got into my house (about a half-hour later), I consoled myself with the hottest, longest, uninterrupted shower in recent history. I'm sure I drained the entire hot water heater (my mother would be horrified) but I did not feel the least bit guilty!

Next, it was off to the grocery store for a few odds and ends, because, any mother knows that a trip to the grocery store without small children in tow is pure heaven, even if in reality, we are still running boring old errands. Luckily for me, my local grocery store contains within it a Starbucks, so I treated myself to a mocha. The super-nice gals who work at Starbucks were telling me about some new treats they will be selling soon...cake pops, red velvet whoopie pies, and salted caramel sweet squares...all in miniature size. Much to my delight, they forced me to take a salted caramel sweet square, and it was out-of-this world delicious, and it confirmed my belief that any sweet with the word "salted" in it is to die for.

4 comments:

Nicky said...

What a great post Heather! Glad you have managed to emerge from the blahs. I always feel that exercise is key to feeling un-blah for me - even doing half an hour at the gym makes me feel good. Bummer about locking yourself out - although clearly the shower, mocha, & sweet treats helped to get you over that hump quite nicely! Hope the rest of the week continues to be positive!

Linda Schick said...

Good for you for putting YOU first! It's so hard to do as mothers, since we are always doing for others, but it is so important. Exercise is definitely key for me, for so many reasons, mental health being one of the biggest reasons. It just gives me an ahhhhhh feeling, and I feel I can conquer anything. That, and occasional chocolate treats, are all I need. :)

Heather said...

Thanks, ladies...I'm afraid yesterday didn't pan out as well as I'd hoped, but forge ahead I will. The boys are off to school again this morning, and I WILL NOT lock myself out of the house this time! :)

Cheryl said...

Been there, done that. I remember when a couple of hours of me time was heavenly! Even if I went grocery shopping it was still luxurious! I try to get outside every day and walk or snowshoe and I always come back in feeling much better.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin