Monday, October 01, 2007

Think Pink!

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness month! I'm thrilled to see that with each passing year, there are more and more ways for people to become involved in breast cancer awareness, as well as ways to show support. One of my favorite ways is by participating in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure - - a wonderful 5K event that raises funds for the Komen Foundation. Click on the link and find out when the Race for the Cure will be in your area! You can simply Google "breast cancer awareness", and find pages and pages of websites, ideas, and stories to inspire you. I won't bombard you with facts about breast cancer, but I will tell you that one in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year. Yes, great strides have been made in the fight against breast cancer, but that number is staggering. If you haven't already been affected by breast cancer, it is pretty safe to say that you will be at some point in your life. So, take a moment and familiarize yourself with the Komen Foundation, and the great works they do. If you knit, consider donating a knit cap to Chemo Caps for cancer patients. If you like chocolate, go to your local store and pick up a bag of special edition "pink ribbon" candy (M&M's, Kisses, Kissables, York Peppermint Patties) and hand them out to your friends.

Oh... and if you are in Maine, and happen to see this beautiful woman, stop and give her a hug, and congratulate her on being cancer-free for SEVEN years. I love you, Mum!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Heather! Your blog today made me all teary! You have always been such a good supporter, and I appreciate it. Our 3-day walk 6 1/2 years ago is definitely one of my most valued times with you. I appreciate you always being there for me. I love you.

Lisa said...

A great post, Heather. Who wouldn't want to buy Hershey Kisses to support such an awesome cause? I mean, if I'm going to buy Kisses anyway, I may as well buy the PINK ones, right? That's one thing I love about the Pink campainge, it's stuff that people buy all the time - Practical stuff which makes contributing SO EASY and so worthwhile! I'm glad your mom is doing so well 7 years after cancer!! YAY!

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,

Please remind your readers that they can go to http://www.thebreastcancersite EACH DAY and "Click" to help fund mammograms for those who can't afford them.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin