Sunday, August 31, 2008

And My Heart Breaks...

That would be Griffin's crib. I took it apart this morning, because my wee little baby boy has moved into a Big Boy Bed. Camden started sleeping in a bed when he was 17 months old. He never tried to escape, but then again, Camden was my easy boy. Griffin, on the other hand, is a maniac. I've been toying with the idea of trying to move him into a bed, but knowing Griffin as I do, I knew I was only asking for trouble. On a whim, Steve and I moved the trusty old Fire Truck Bed back into the house last night, and set it up next to the crib, because we were pretty sure we were making a big mistake. Lo and behold, we put Griffin to bed, wide awake, like we always do, and he didn't make a peep, didn't try to escape, and slept great last night. The same thing happened at 1:30 this afternoon, when it was time for his nap. Griffin wants so badly to be a big boy - - wants to be just like his brother. Bottles are long gone, the crib is gone - - the only bit of baby-ness we have left to deal with is The Binky, but I'm giving him until his second birthday until I tackle that. Oh, and diapers...I suspect we're a few months out on potty training. I'm slowly getting rid of all of the baby gear, but I can't give up this crib. It doesn't take up much room, so I'm keeping it, as well as the Moses Basket that the boys slept in when they were tiny and new.

First night in the Fire Truck bed

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Becky had a pacifier until just after her third birthday. I remember trying to wean her from it when she was younger than that but her sad cries for her "Fy" made my heart break so I gave in. Let him hold onto that bit of babyness awhile longer - it'll make you both feel better. :)

Jen said...

Awww! It is so hard to give up the baby stuff! I'm not there yet, but I am having trouble giving up SweetiePie's baby clothes!

SP had her soother until she was 28 months old. One day I cut a bit of the tip off. She slept with it that night, but it felt weird to her. The next day, right before her nap, I cut more off. She didn't like it anymore and threw it in the garbage herself! We never looked back!

Melissa said...

Oh, the crib....that's the hardest thing, I think! I cried the whole time I was taking them down. Rob wouldn't do it - he said it would feel too much like torturing me!

But Griffin sure is doing well in his big-boy bed, and I bet he's just as proud as can be. :)

Kate D. said...

Declan starts school next week and I just took the safety latches off the kitchen doors this weekend. Their moses bed is stored under my bed and their crib is in the basement probably until the grandchildren need it. The "Binky Fairy" didn't visit our house until they were both 3 but she worked like a charm both times.

Anonymous said...

How anxious I was to put up the crib for my three, and how sad it was when it came time to take it down. Enjoy every bit of Griffin's "babyhood" as long as you can. My "baby" starts her senior year Wednesday.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin