Monday, June 23, 2008

A Wonderful Weekend

We had a very busy weekend here, and it was wonderful. Camden had his birthday party on Saturday, Steve and I attended an Army Ball Saturday evening, and all throughout the weekend, Steve was working on replacing part of the roof on our rental property. A special thanks to Terri for watching our boys so that we could enjoy a very rare evening out among adults!

Here is the crazy cake I made for Camden. I did a little research on the internet, looking for an idea, and then kind of came up with my own cake. I used an 11x13 sheet cake for the water, baked a little cake in a cereal bowl for the island, and then for the ship I used an 8x5 loaf pan for the large part of the ship, and then a mini loaf pan for the top section of the ship. Camden so excited when he saw his cake on Saturday morning, which was the best part of all. He had a great time with his friends and cousin at his party - - they all dressed like pirates, got pirate tatoos, and did lots of running and playing.

After the party was over with, I did some quick cleaning up and then got ready for the Army Ball. It was so much fun! The food was delicious, the company was great, and it was so nice to get all dressed up and get out for a bit. I even managed to get my husband (and my brother-in-law!) to dance with me...gasp!

I love seeing a man in uniform...this one in particular is my favorite though, because this is what Steve wore when we got married.

My lovely sister-in-law, Kasey, and my brother-in-law, Rex (Steve's brother, as if you weren't able to tell!). I like Rex's hat.

There's a bit of ceremony involved in these Army functions...some of it funny, like how all of the soldiers stand on their chairs during the toasts, and then some of it very sobering, like the ceremony remembering prisoners of war, and soldiers who have been lost in combat.

Here's Steve, toasting the non-commissioned officers

I think the absolute best part of the entire weekend, though, was this:

Steve took the training wheels off Camden's bike, and that was that!
Happy Monday, everyone!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun-filled, happy weekend you all had. The birthday party must have been so much fun. And you looked smashing all dressed up! And another "grown-up" moment when the training wheels came off Camden's bike, right?

Montserrat said...

Wow what a weekend! The cake looks so fun, but you, my dear, look gorgeous! Who wouldn't want to dance with you?

Jen said...

Way to go Camden!!!

You look lovely!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are gorgeous, you need to frame that picture of you and Steve, it's a great one! You amaze me, you "throw" together the birthday party with the fabulous pirate cake that every little boy dreams of and then you end the day looking like you did (what every big boy dreams of!!) You are super woman and putting me to shame!! Well, I did make a bunny cake once but every other cake Emily has ever had has been made my your mom (thank goodness!!!)

Anonymous said...

Where do you get all your energy from??!! The cake looked fabulous, you look GORGEOUS in red, and Camden should be very proud of himself!!

Anonymous said...

What a special weekend for all--fun kid time, fun grownup time, and Camden getting rid of the training wheels--that's a huge milestone! Love the pirate cake--I made one almost identical to that for one of my boy's pirate parties a few years ago. I was so proud of it and was glad I got tons of photos before all those swashbucklers devoured it!

Heather said...

My mom always use to make special cakes for my brother and I, so I am determined to do that for my boys, since it gave me so many great memories. Thanks for all of the compliments everyone...I fear my head is getting rather big...

Joy said...

It was a GREAT party! Paco had so much fun. You can see from my post that we've been invaded by pirates, thanks to Camden. ;)

Pizza was delish and the eggs - yummy!

And how well you clean up!! You and Steve are a gorgeous couple.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin