Monday, June 25, 2007

Road Trip

We are back, and we had a great time in Hood River, Oregon. The purpose of our trip was to take Camden to the Mt. Hood Railroad for "Day Out With Thomas". It was great! I've been saying that the best part of the trip was hearing preschooler after preschooler, gasping as they came through the gates, when they would first see Thomas sitting on the tracks. It really was a great event for little kids. The first thing we did was take a 30-minute train ride, and then after that, there were various activities set up for the kids, from playing with Thomas trains, to blowing bubbles, to live music, etc. Camden really enjoyed himself and we're so glad we were able to do this for him.


Now I'll tell you about the rest of the trip! It took us about 7 hours to get there on Friday, with driving and stops combined. The boys did really well, being in the car that long. When we arrived, we checked into our hotel, and then headed off for dinner at the Full Sail Brewery. The food was wonderful. At this point, Steve and I had already decided we LOVED Hood River. It is an absolutely beautiful little town, full of people enjoying the outdoors - - biking, windsurfing, kite boarding, etc. Lots of steep hills, great restaurants, quaint coffee shops, and much more. After dinner, we headed back to the hotel for some sleep. The next morning we headed right to the Mt. Hood Railroad for assorted Thomas activities. Then it was back to the hotel for Griffin and myself, so that Griffin could nap, and Steve and Camden went exploring in town. Later that afternoon, we all went into town and had a nice time walking around. We had dinner that evening at a place called The Mesquitery, and Steve's good friend Don came from Portland to meet us. Unfortunately, I spent the entire time consoling one tired child or the other, pacing the sidewalk in front of the restaurant. Finally, I gave up, boxed up my virtually untouched dinner, gathered up the boys, and headed back to the hotel, leaving Steve and Don in peace to visit. My consolation prize was a piece of Lemon Drop Cheesecake that Steve brought back for me...delish.


After breakfast on Sunday, we loaded up and headed back to Idaho. I think at that point, we were all a little burned out on being in the car (some of us more than others...yes, I mean me!), so it felt extra good to arrive home last night. It was a wonderful weekend, and it was so great to get out of town and see something new.
A picnic on the way to Oregon

Griffin, getting in some driving time


Camden and Steve, relaxing on the train ride

Camden, enjoying the trains

A random shot to prove that I was there, too!


A couple of tuckered-out boys

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This must've been a wonderful weekend for all four of you. It's nice that Griffin was able to take the wheel for awhile and give Steve a break, although his trick of driving while sitting backwards on the wheel is not something I'd want him to do if I were his passenger! I enjoyed all of your photos. What an exciting adventure for Camden.

Anonymous said...

What a nice weekend for all of you. I would loved to have seen Camden when he saw Thomas. He's loved Thomas since he was a teeny boy. Griffin obviously is going to become a dare devil race car driver. You were brave to take such a long trip with two little boys. Their trips in the car to Boise have toughened them up for long trips, I believe.

Anonymous said...

Looks like such a wonderful time! I have always loved Oregon since I was Camden's age! Auntie Kasey

Blog Widget by LinkWithin