Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Mumma's a Mama

This morning, my friend Terri called to let me know that she thought her goat, Susie (more affectionately known as "Mumma") was in labor. We've been on "baby watch" for about three weeks now - - the poor goat has looked like she was about to explode for that long. So, she told me to stand by, and she'd call later in the day to let me know how Mumma was progressing. Well, about five minutes later she called again and said we'd better hurry up and get to her house. I'm happy to say that Camden and I were lucky enough to witness Mumma give birth to two beautiful babies, one boy and one girl. Camden promptly told Terri that he thought they should name the boy goat Camden. I love this picture of the kids watching Mumma labor. That's Terri's son Brenden, Camden, Terri's other son Hayden, and her neighbor's niece, Sydney: I had never seen any animal give birth before, so it was a new experience for both Camden and I. Right before the first baby was born, Mumma did some pretty loud screaming, which kind of freaked Camden out, but all in all he thought it was pretty neat. Griffin was there, too, but he didn't have much to say about the morning's events. Camden spent so much time worrying about Mumma this afternoon, that I had to take him back to Terri's so he could check on her! He was full of questions, as I am sure he will be for days to come.
Mumma, not looking too comfortable

With her first baby, a girl

And her second baby, a boy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the photo of the kids watching the arrival of the kids, Heather. That's a great shot.

Lisa said...

Baby goats are downright cute! So cool that you and the boys were there for their arrival. Do goats always have two babies?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin