Sunday, April 15, 2007

Easy Tag Blanket

Griffin's a rather tactile young lad - - if you give him a stuffed animal, he immediately finds the tag and proceeds to finger it. He loves tags. So, like I do whenever I want to know something, I Googled "tag blanket" and found some simple instructions so that I could make him one. I dusted off my sewing machine and about 30 minutes later, Griffin had more tags to finger than his little hands could keep up with.

First, cut two 12" squares of fleece. Then, cut approximately 12 pieces of ribbon, 6" in length each. Use different colors and textures of ribbon, too. Then, fold each piece of ribbon in half, and pin to the right side of one of the pieces of fleece, so that the looped end of each ribbon piece are facing into the center of the blanket. Then, pin the other piece of fabric, right side facing in, to the piece with the ribbons, sew up all the sides, leaving a 3" space on the last side, so that you can turn the blanket right side out. Remove all of the pins, and then whip-stitch the opening. Voila!

Here's Griffin, testing out his new blanket. So far, so good - - he seems to love it.

In other news, I'm in the process of transitioning to cloth diapers and I'm so excited! I had thought about it quite a bit when I was pregnant with Griffin, but am just now feeling like the time is right. I should be getting a package in the mail within the next couple of days, with a bunch of samples of different types of diapers. In the meantime, we've been "test driving" a diaper made by a woman in Boise, and I love it! Maybe it will turn out that I'll just order all of my diapers from her.

I'm pretty sure Steve is sick of hearing me yammer on about cloth diapers, and probably you will be, too, by the time this week is out. I'm just very excited about it though, mostly because of the money it will save, along with the fact that I won't be contributing to the hundreds and hundreds of disposable diapers in the landfills anymore. Besides that, cloth diapers are just darn cute.

Camden and I have a "date" this afternoon - - I am taking him to Boise to see the actors from the Idaho Shakespeare Festival perform a reading of The Velveteen Rabbit. I asked him to choose a place for us to have lunch, and he chose Sonic, so we'll go there first. I haven't spent any "alone" time with Camden since before Griffin was born, so I think this will be great for the two of us, and I plan to make it a monthly occurrence. We're hoping to go and see "Shrek the Third" for our next date.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your "Bonnie Bairn" looks so cute with his tag blanket, Heather. What a clever idea to make it for him.

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather! I am watching "Martha Stewart" and a great new diaper is available-its from gdiaper.com. I thought of you as its biodegradable, and part of it is flushable! It really seems like a great product and you can check out marthastewart.com as well for info. Where were these people when I had my kids???

Blog Widget by LinkWithin