Friday, February 16, 2007

Step Away From the Peanut Butter

Yes, that is our jar of "Great Value" brand peanut butter. Yes, it is from the now infamous batch number "2111" as stated on the national news for the past two days. The story caught my attention yesterday morning, as I had just purchased a jar the previous Friday. I didn't freak out too much, because I feed Camden natural peanut butter, but I use this kind for baking, and I knew hadn't yet opened this particular jar. At least I thought I hadn't. Just the same, I quickly took a black marker and wrote "DO NOT EAT!" on the lid. When I showed it to Steve, he promptly unscrewed the top to reveal where he had removed and consumed a large blob earlier in the week. It is Friday now, and he's still alive, so I'm guessing he's been spared from a vicious case of salmonella poisoning. Please tell me, how does manufactured peanut butter become contaminated with salmonella? Seriously. I don't think I really want to know - - it is too gross to even think about. I mean, I can sort of understand when outbreaks occur with vegetables, but, peanut butter??? Yuck. Just yuck.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

We also had a jar of 'contaminated' 2111 peanut butter! Ours had been eaten a little bit and no one got sick. You're right, it is too gross to even imagine how salmonella got into peanut butter!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin