Friday, September 08, 2006

Peach Cobbler

Our new house came with a big peach tree, so I tried my hand at baking a fresh peach cobbler yesterday. I Googled "peach cobbler", and chose a recipe from The Food Network. Oddly enough, while I was gathering the ingredients, I noticed the recipe's author was Kristina Williamson from Schooner Ellida in Rockland, Maine! I figured that it was meant to be. Anyway, the recipe is great. It has just the right amount of sweetness, and is super easy to make. I'm sure it would taste great using frozen (thawed) peach slices. I do have to say, peeling fresh peaches is kind of a pain.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Generously butter a 1.5 quart shallow casserole dish.

Filling Ingredients:
4 cups sliced peaches (either fresh/peeled, or frozen/thawed)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tbsp. flour

In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together until peaches are coated. Pour into casserole and spread evenly. Bake for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile combine:

1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 tbsp. brown sugar

Then, using a pastry blender, cut in:

4 tbsp. chilled butter, cut into small pieces

Continue cutting until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Then, add:

2/3 cup buttermilk

Stir to form a soft dough. Remove fruit from oven and drop rounded spoonfuls of dough on top. Sprinkle this with some brown sugar and return to oven. Bake until bubbly and crust topping is golden brown, about 20 minutes.

I served this with some vanilla ice cream on top, and a dollop of Cool Whip.

2 comments:

Joy said...

Sounds delish!

The secret to peeling fresh fruit is to "blanch" it. Put the peaches in boiling water for 5 mins and then scoop them out and drop them (gently) into ice water. The skins come off SO easily when done this way.

I do this with tomatoes, peaches, apricots, etc.

kirsten said...

Wow!Lucky you! You have a peach tree...Is there nothing better than eating fruit grown outside your front door? Of course this reminds me of living in Calif and having lemon, cherry, and apple trees in our yard. We grew some tomatoes this summer and I haven't done much with them but still love having at least a little something close by.
Your recipe sounds great- I might have to try it if I can get some peaches at the farmers market next week.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin