Friday, July 14, 2006

Alberta C. Dunphy

My grandmother, Alberta C. Dunphy (known to most as "Bertie") passed away peacefully and quietly this morning in Pittsfield, Maine. She was born on October 19, 1904, so she would have turned 102 years old this year. My Grammy was a wonderful, strong, stubborn woman, who valued her independence. She made great yeast rolls. She was an expert knitter. She had the best sense of humor, and had many, many friends. She liked to call me "Heather Jane". She had seven children, and is survived by five of them. Please keep my mother and her siblings Winston, Eldon, Shirley, and Jean, in your thoughts. I loved her dearly, and will miss her. I'm so happy that I was able to spend the morning with her, when Camden and I visited Maine last year. The first picture is from that visit. The other is from when Camden met his Great Grammy for the first time, when he was about 8 weeks old. I'm so glad he got to meet her. I wish Griffin could have, too. I love you, Grammy. Rest in peace.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather -- Your Grammy loved you, too. Thank you for this nice tribute to her.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to Grammy! Grammy was the best grandmother in the world. Love, Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Great tribute Heather. Rest in peace Grammy, you were a remarkable and amazing women. I know you are now with Uncle Roy.

Lisa said...

What a blessed woman to have been so loved by so many! Your tribute to your Grandmother is very sweet and touching, Heather. I am sorry for your family's loss but am glad for you that you got to spend time while you were in Maine.

kirsten said...

I am so sorry for your loss...it was a beautiful blog and picture you posted. She sounds like a wonderful woman. Thinking of you- KE

Anonymous said...

Your Grammy thought a lot of you, Heather, but that's because you thought a lot of her and treated her with much love and respect. You always took the time to visit her and participate in family get-togethers. She appreciated that. She had so little, yet she felt as if she had way more than she deserved. It was impossible to visit her without her trying to give you something before she left. She'd say, "Let's see, what do I have that you might want." She even offered me some of her roommate's belongings when I visited her recently! You can be proud that she was your grandmother, and I know you feel that pride without my urging you to. Grammy's at peace now. Her last couple of years were not easy for her, and now she has the rest she deserves.

Anonymous said...

Grammy taught me how to cook her "famous break" which I use only to make bread, and how to make pies, cookies etc.
She let me visit each week when I was little on the bus, wash her floor and supper would be waiting for me. Though I celebrated her birthdays with her I know when I wasn't there, she knew I still cared very much for her.
Senior Citizens was her favorite place she took me!
I love you and miss you Grammie and I know you know. Love, Carol

Joy said...

Sorry I've just read about your Grammy's passing. How odd that mine died the night before on July 13th...

What a wonderful tribute.

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

Blog Widget by LinkWithin