Monday, July 17, 2006

Age Three

It seems that seasoned parents love to frighten novice parents with tales of "The Terrible Twos", yet, I dare say, nobody ever mentioned Age Three. Sure, when Camden turned two he started talking a whole lot more, could get into more trouble, etc., but was relatively mild-mannered, looking back on it all. Since Camden's third birthday last month, life has taken on a new sort of direction in our household. I dare say, we are now living with a midget who seems to think he is in charge. Other changes that have occurred: increase in sassiness, increase in tantrums, decrease in all sense of reason and rational (I'm talking about Camden, not me). You may be wondering why our dear son is sporting rabbit ears in the above picture. That would be due to the fact that he has seen "Wallace and Grommit and the Adventures of the Were Rabbit", and for about a two hour stretch yesterday, insisted that I call him, "The Were Rabbit" whenever I addressed him. He further informed me that he would be addressing me as, "Maaaaaaaaa", in the same manner that Babe the Pig addressed his dear friend Ma, the Border Lester Ewe, in the movie, "Babe" (you would be correct to deduce that we've watched a couple of movies this past weekend).
Oh, and did I mention the talking? The NON-STOP-NEVER-PAUSING-TO-TAKE-A-BREATH talking? Witness a recent conversation between mother and son:

(Setting: in the car, on the way to Boise)
Camden: "What's that, Mummy?"
Heather: "That's a tractor, Camden, but you know that!"
Camden: "What he doing?" (he refers to everything and everyone as "he")
Heather: "He's working."
Camden: "WHY he's working?"
Heather: "Because that's his job."
Camden: "WHY that's his job?"
Heather: "Because that's what tractors do."
Camden: "WHY that's what tractors do?"
Heather: (feeling slight tinglings of brain that is about to explode) "Because it is."
Camden: "WHY because it is?"
Heather: "I don't know."
Camden: "WHY you don't know?"
KA-BOOM!!

Now, you may be thinking, Get A Grip, Lady. Kids Ask Lots of Questions. They Are Curious By Nature. Okay, while that is true, the above is just one example of about 537 identical conversations that occur between my son and I, whenever we are in the car, in the house, at the store....when we are awake, is probably a bit more accurate.

Steve and I are currently regrouping and doubling-up on our efforts to ensure that we guide our Dear Son through this "phase" (oh please Lord, let it be a phase), so as not to end up with one of those children that cause other parents to cringe when they see him coming. I'm quite sure he will turn out just fine. I've had many parents tell me, "Just when you think you know what you are doing, things change." Boy, is that true.

All of this being said, there is still no place I'd rather be than with my son (okay, sometimes I'd like to be in a silent room, preferably in a tropical locale, sipping a large glass of perfectly chilled Pinot Grigio, but that's a post for another day). May I also say that if you attempt to inform me that your child is smarter, cuter, or sweeter than my child, I'll wrestle you to the ground and pin you, until you take it back.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember so clearly the days my kids we're little and it would be Jenn with all the questions, "who, what, when"? Those it can be busy and hectic times I would give anything to have those days back. I do not regret one day staying home with them and someday want to do the same with grandkids!
Enjoy Camden and Griffin as they grow way to fast!
You have one handsome boy! I think he looks like his grandfather "Uncle Buzz" now.
Best of luck,
Cuz Susie

Lisa said...

Age two is a breeze compared to age three! I sometimes tell Allison that she has reached her question quota for the day to which she appropriately responds, "What's a quota Mommy?"!

kirsten said...

I hear you! Everyone keeps telling me that age 2 is so much easier than 3. My niece just turned 3 and she is also in that question and answer stage (why?Why? Why? over and over...) It's a good thing they're all so darn cute!

Anonymous said...

Next to teenagers, the 3's are by far the most trying-I remember those days! Soon your Dad will be there and Camden will have someone else to question, giving you a much needed break.
Such a cute picture of our little #1 guy.
Love, Bev

Anonymous said...

Oh to have a three year old asking questions again! This too shall pass I repeatedly told myself (hundreds of times!!) So many precious moments to save and treasure. Best to all. Love, Cheryl

Blog Widget by LinkWithin