Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Something New: Upholstery

Last night, I took a class to learn how to upholster furniture. It is something I've wanted to know how to do for a long time, and I'm glad I finally had the opportunity to learn. After having been to the class, I just cannot believe how easy it actually seems! Really, it is all about tucking and stapling. There isn't much sewing involved at all. There is a fabulous store in Boise that has a gigantic selection of upholstery fabric for as little at $3.00 per yard, so I am excited to get started. I first need to procure an electric stapler, and those aren't exactly cheap, so I'm not sure when I will be able to get started...hopefully soon.

My first victim? Our crazy gold velour ottoman that resides in our family room. It came with the house, and is a heavily-used piece of furniture - - the boys love it. But...it is soooo ugly. I'm hoping to find some new fabric that will go with the new colors (I've been busy painting all of the wood paneling in the family room for the past week...what a difference!). If the ottoman goes well, I think I will move on to the chair in the guest bedroom.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Hmmm...what a great idea! I love the shape and size of your ottoman! I imagine in its day it was quite lovely with its beautiful gold velour. It'll be gorgeous once again as soon as you give it a face lift! Can't wait to see the AFTER pictures!

Joy said...

WoW!!! I would take preserving food class....

Kate D. said...

So fun! I have always wanted to learn to do this-Martha Stewart always makes it look so easy.

Heather said...

I was really surprised at how easy the whole process was. We'll see how it goes when I am actually doing it myself!

Cheryl said...

I like the ottoman. Can't wait to see the results.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin