Sunday, August 01, 2010

UPDATE: Homemade Laundry Detergent

Remember this post? Well, I just made my second batch of detergent, and I did it a little differently this time. After grated the Zote soap, I spread it all out on a cookie sheet and let it dry out for about 24 hours. Then, I put it back in the food processor with the chopping blade. By drying it out before chopping it, I ended up with more of a powder consistency with the soap, which is what I'd been hoping for the first time I made it. So, I'd really recommend letting the Zote dry for a day before chopping it and adding it to the rest of the detergent mixture.

I'm still very happy with this detergent. Griffin's skin has been so much better since I started making it myself, and I really love how "clean" my laundry smells. Very economical, and there's something about making it myself that I just really love.

5 comments:

Kate D. said...

That's so funny. I just made my 2nd batch yesterday. I wish I knew your soap trick. I'll try it next time. Grace now wants me to make homemade dishwasher detergent.

Heather said...

I think next batch, I'm going to use Dr. Bronner's Lavender soap for the bar soap. I think I also may try the liquid version sometime.

Susan said...

Am wondering if this recipe can be used in the HE/Steam units.

Heather said...

I've done a little research on this Susan (because I'd love to have a front-loading washer/dryer when mine wear out) - - I would tell you the jury seems to be mixed. There are some that say they use one tablespoon per load (using homemade detergent) and it hasn't caused any problems/works well, etc., and then there are others who say they won't chance it because their warrenty for their appliance states they must use HE detergent. So...not sure. I certainly hope I can still make my own detergent and use it when I get one!

Joy said...

Glad the ZOTE works for Griff. I like your idea of using the Lavendar soap next time as ZOTE didn't work for us. I just had to stick with Melaleuca; which of course I am fine with. LOL.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin