Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Birthday Cake Fit for a Dog

A peanut-butter-bacon-milkbone delight!

Good old Riley celebrated his 13th birthday this past weekend. The boys wanted me to bake him his own birthday cake, so I paid a visit to my good friend Google, and, lo and behold, the Internet is just bursting with dog cake recipes. Riley is rather fond of peanut butter, so I settled on a peanut-butterish cake for him.


Peanut Butter Birthday Cake for Dogs

1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 very heaping spoonful of natural peanut butter
1/8 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup honey
1 small egg

Mix all ingredients together well. Spread into a 6" round pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (The recipe above is halved from the original, because I wanted a small cake. If you double it, just bake it in an 8" pan).

Remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack. Once cool, drizzle top with natural peanut butter, and sprinkle with bacon bits.

5 comments:

Jen said...

That's awesome - what a lucky dog!

Cheryl said...

Yummy! Riley must have been so happy with his cake.

Jen said...

By the way, I love all the posts you've put up lately. I look forward to reading about life in the Arnett house.

Roberta said...

Isn't this going to mess Riley up a bit? Won't he wonder why he suddenly was allowed to lick food at the table when for the past 13 years all he's heard was, "Riley, no! Go lay down!"? I hope you were able to explain the situation to him so he clearly understood.

Heather said...

Yes, Riley was very happy. He's been having a slice with each meal since Sunday!

Jen, I feel like I finally might be out of my blogging funk. I've been having fun doing a lot of writing lately.

Yes, Mum - - it threw him for a loop a little. After he had some cake, he went a little nutty with the begging. It took me a day or two to reel him back in, poor foolish dog.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin