Monday, April 27, 2009

Something to Try: Aebleskiver!

Have you ever seen a pan quite like this one? It is an aebleskiver pan, and I had been coveting one in the King Arthur Flour catalogue for months, but then was lucky enough to be given one for my birthday this year (thanks, Kevin and Rachel!). I finally got around to trying it over the weekend, and one use was all I needed, to declare that that aebleskiver will become a regular in our house. I also received this book along with my pan, so I settled on the "quick aebleskiver" recipe and got to work. The only ingredients were Bisquick, milk, and eggs, so it was as simple as could be. After the batter was prepared, I heated the pan, and then added some cooking oil to each well. When that was good and hot, I added a couple of tablespoons of batter to each well.

Once they had been cooking for about 3 minutes, I carefully turned each aebleskiver over, using two bamboo skewers, and they looked like this:

As it turns out, I'd turned them a little too early because they weren't as brown as I had wanted. No problem, I just flipped them again. The end result?
Little morsels of deliciousness that the boys (big and little) went crazy for. We gave them a generous sprinkle of confectioner's sugar and they were good to go. I did try a batch just using cooking spray to coat the pan, and I can tell you that they weren't nearly as good as the ones that were cooked in oil (go figure!). I can't wait to try some of the other recipes in the book. Camden wants to put some chocolate chips in the centers of the next batch, which sounds like a mighty fine idea to me.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness....those look delish!!

Cheryl said...

Love the new Disney ticker in the corner-how wonderful that time will be! Oh heavens I am drooling over the photos. Yum yum!

Susan said...

Try filling the aebleskiver with canned apple chunks....so yummy. My mom was Danish and I remember eating these as a young child. They are very popular in the Scandininavian countries as the name would imply.

Lisa said...

Okay - two things. First, how in the world do you pronounce AEBLESKIVER? And second - YOU'RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!!?? YAY!

Heather said...

Susan that sounds devine! I will have to try that!

Lisa, I think it is "ableskeever" but I'm probably wrong! And, yes, we are going to Disney World! It all happened very fast, but it was an opportunity we couldn't pass up. I just cannot wait!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin