Saturday, May 12, 2007

Mission Accomplished!

I'm happy to say that I ran the entire thing, and I didn't keel over at the end! It actually went very well, and I'm pretty sure I am going to keep on running. Hard to tell in this picture, but that is me, about in the middle of the photo, in the reddish-orange sleeveless shirt (and pasty-white legs), right before crossing the finish line. The crowd was HUGE, and at times it was tough not to trip over people. Thank you so very much to all of the family and friends who pledged their support to me for the race - - it means so much to me! I have to admit, near the end, I had to resort to reciting the 50 states in alphabetical order, because I was starting to get really hot and tired. I'll also tell you that I used the same trick while in labor for 31 hours with Camden. You'd be amazed how well it works at keeping the mind off bodily woes, and focused on the task at hand. Mind you, there is no comparison between labor and running a 5K (yes, labor is much more difficult)!

So, I'm happy that I was able to set a goal for myself, and actually stick to it. I didn't get to train quite as hard as I would have liked, but now I know that I can do it, so that's all that matters. I'm also thrilled that I got to run this race for my mother. Anytime I found myself thinking that I was too out of shape to do this, or that it was hard, or anything like that, I reminded myself how stoic my mom was when she was diagnosed with breast cancer, and how she didn't even miss any work while she was being treated. Now that is amazing. Love you, Mum!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Heather. We're so proud of you. I wish we could've been there to cheer you on. I put on my Race For the Cure t-shirt and pretended I was running beside you. Of course, I would've only made it a couple blocks, but it would've been nice to see you leave me in the dust. Thanks you for doing the race for me. I means so much to me. I really appreciate all the pledges you got, too.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I made a donation but it has not shown up yet.....will check it out later.

Mommy's Happy Day

Anonymous said...

What a great job you did! I think its very admirable to get involved in a cause you believe in. You go girl :)

Joy said...

YEAH!!!! I was cheering you on in Caldwell. I had two other friends participate as well. Hugs to you, darling.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin