Thursday, May 24, 2007

Little Stinker

Can someone please tell me how this sweet, sweet little boy can turn into such a stinker at night? I mean, I'm at a loss here. I think his angle is to be all-out crazy at night, but then super cute all day long, in an attempt to erase my memory of what he put me through the night before - - yes, I think that must be it. Granted, the boy has been teething, and that's got to hurt. I'll give him that. What I am having trouble making excuses for is the 3 a.m. wakings, followed by the babbling, giggling, hair-pulling, and countless other activities that leave yours truly with an average of approximately 3 hours of restful sleep per night. Although Griffin slept with us for about 6 months, he's been in his room, in his crib for the past 3 months. However, after getting up for about the 5th time on any given night, he inevitably ends up in bed with me around 3 a.m., which of course gives him free reign to pull my hair, kick his crazy feet, and anything else he can think of, to make sure I don't sleep. Yes, I'm part of the problem, I know - - you'd think I'd have figured it out by now. I fear my brain is so fried from lack of sleep, that I can no longer be held responsible for my lapses in judgement. Last night, for example, Griffin tossed and turned in his crib across the hall, and I got up repeatedly, for fear that he'd wake Camden up. I finally gave up and put him in bed with me around 2 a.m., thinking he'd go right to sleep. He did, for a bit, but then I woke up to Griffin trying out his new-found talent: Yelling. It goes something like this. "Ya? Ya-ya. Ya. YA-YA-YA-YA-YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA", quickly followed by teeny-tiny fits of giggles. This went on for about 45 minutes, at which point I finally gave in, and the two of us got up at 5:30 a.m. I hesitate to get too wound up about it, because one day, he'll be a surly teenager, telling me to "mind my own business" or something similar, and I'll be longing for the nights when we smiled at each other in the dark, sleep deprived, but madly in love just the same.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who, me??? That's Griffin's expression in the picture of him on Steve's shoulder. What a little bugger he is. I don't know how you've done so well with so little sleep. I'm afraid I'd be sneaking naps, and you should be doing just that. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Heather, Griffin looks just like Steve in the last photo.

Maybe Griffin needs to sleep downstairs in the guest room for a while.

Mama said there would be days like this but she did not tell you about the nights, did she?

Lisa said...

Awww! He's so dern cute! I don't believe a word of your story! That face is just too innocent!

Your attitude is good given the fact that you no longer get a full night's rest! Hang in there!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin