Friday, September 24, 2010

Julie & Julia's Bruschetta

Ever since I saw the movie Julie & Julia, I've wanted to make bruschetta (pronounced 'broos-ketta', by the way) like Julie did in that one scene in the movie where you could literally taste it yourself. The bread crunched, the tomatoes dripped...I swear, I could almost smell the fresh basil right through the movie screen. A couple of weeks ago, my local farmers market had some lovely tomatoes (mine are still green on the vine, I fear), so I gathered my ingredients and got to work.

I chose sourdough bread, because I like it, but really, any rustic-type bread will do. Slice your bread and then fry it in some olive oil in a cast iron skillet, over medium heat. Next time, I will fry mine until it is nice and crisp...I was much too impatient and I'm afraid my bread had little to no crunch to it at all. Waaaa!



Next, chop up 4 tomatoes, throw in a generous pinch of kosher salt, a nice drizzle of olive oil, and approximately 4-5 large basil leaves, cut in a chiffonade. Stir together and let flavors meld.



When your bread is done, rub each slice with a half of a fresh garlic clove. I forgot to do this part, so no picture. Then, spoon the tomato~basil mixture generously over each slice of bread. Feel free to moan and groan while you eat it.

5 comments:

Kate D. said...

Too funny. I have been making and eating this obsessively for weeks. I always think of that movie when I make it. Yours is much prettier though.

Terrij83@yahoo.com said...

try a thin slice of cheese under that brushetta yummy yummy!! I agree with Kate about your beautiful food! We need to get together and eat that for lunch soon. I have tons and tons of tomatoes old heirloom ones that are purple and watermelon rhine colored and yellow and orange that would be beautiful!!

Heather said...

It's a date, Terri! The more colorful the tomatoes, the better, I say! I just picked my first ripe tomato today...how sad is that???

Lisa said...

MMMMM!! I have a bunch of tomatoes from different friends' gardens and haven't known what to do with all of them! Now I know!!

Momma Bird said...

Heather....looks delicious and easier to make than I would have thought (I am a baker not a cook.)

Regarding your comment on my blog about dress-up...Cole loves to dress up. He wears our clothes all the time and "walks in my shoes" a lot. When Halloween comes around his costume is worth whatever I pay because he uses it long after it is over. I haven't really thought to actually get dress-up stuff for him and encourage that...lol. And I was just talking about imaginative play with him on my blog!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin