Monday, February 06, 2012

More Birthday Musings

I wanted to take the time to write down what I did on my birthday, because it really was a perfect day, all the way around. Steve really outdid himself and I will never forget how much fun I had on my 40th birthday.

I got up in the morning and had some coffee with Steve, and then enjoyed a lovely breakfast (toad in the hole and turkey bacon) that he made for me. Steve had taken the day off from work so that I could have the "day off" and do whatever I wanted. After breakfast, I headed out on my morning walk, which felt great.

Steve took Camden to school, and I got ready to head to Boise for a day of shopping. All of you mothers know that if you have little kids, shopping isn't exactly fun, and it is a rare occurance to get out BY YOURSELF, to shop FOR YOURSELF. So, this is what I was wanting to do on my birthday. Try on clothes to my heart's content, browse, wander, window shop, and drink coffee! I was determined to go to all the stores I steer clear of when I have the boys in tow, and that is exactly what I did. As luck would have it, there were some crazy sales going on last Friday, and I still cannot believe the treasures I found. I spent nearly the entire day, but soon had to head back home to get ready for dinner. I think I had 30 minutes to come in the door, freshen up, change, and then get back in the truck and head back to Boise, but this time with all three of my boys.

Steve wouldn't tell me where we were going but said it was somewhere that I'd always wanted to have dinner. A little bit before we reached our destination, he told me we were all going to Le Cafe de Paris. He and I have been there many times for dessert, but never for dinner. I have a bit of an obsession with all things French, so I was really excited to say the least. The boys are really well-behaved when we take them out to eat, but I will admit I was a little nervous about taking them to this particular restaurant. I'm happy to say that wasn't necessary - - they were extra-excited to go to a "fancy" restaurant and were perfect gentleman for the entire hour and a half that we were there. Anyway, I enjoyed escargot, chicken cordon bleu, and a couple of glasses of Les Graines chardonnay...probably the best chardonnay I have ever tasted. Yum.

We got home late so we held off on cake until the next night so that my brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and nephew could join us. My boys made me a delicious cake, and I was completely spoiled by Rex, Kasey, and Banzer, who gave me a deluxe camp kitchen. I can tell you that thing is going to see a lot of use this coming camp season - - I cannot wait to use it.

So it was a wonderful birthday weekend. I also had a huge surprise on my birthday, but that will need a post all its own. More on that later.

2 comments:

Nicky said...

Oh wow, what a lovely day you had! So perfect. Steve is such a gem! I can only imagine how precious a "day off" is for you. Dinner sounds fabulous too, and it was so cute to hear how extra-well-behaved the boys are when they're out!

Emily said...

What a great day! Good for you! I can't wait to hear about the birthday surprise!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin