Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Pizza Bianca



I love making pizza on Friday nights. It is a quick and easy dinner, and all three of my boys look forward to it. I usually try to make one "kid friendly" pizza (always pepperoni, or half pepperoni/half cheese) and then one pizza that's a little out of the ordinary. Since Steve's been deployed, I've kind of gotten into the habit of making a pepperoni pizza for the boys, and then a small pizza for myself on a gluten-free crust. I'm trying to get more adventurous again, in preparation for Steve's return, so I tried a new recipe last Friday, which was featured in the June 2011 issue of Everyday Food (my most-favorite cooking magazine). I really liked it, so I will definitely have to try it out on Steve when he gets back.


Pizza Bianca


1 lb. pizza dough (this is my new favorite recipe ~ it makes 1.5 lbs though, so just remove 1/3 from your ball of dough and make a thin crust pizza)


1/2 cup ricotta cheese

1 Tbsp. olive oil

1 garlic clove, minced

coarse salt and ground pepper


1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella

1/3 cup grated parmesan (fresh grated preferable)


2 oz. baby arugula

2 tsp. olive oil

salt and pepper to taste


Mix the ricotta, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside. Par-bake your pizza crust at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees. Spread ricotta mixture over crust. Top with mozzarella and parmesan. Bake at 425 for 8-10 minutes, until it begins to brown very lightly. Remove from oven. Toss arugula with remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper and apply to top of pizza.


If you don't care for arugula, you could also use baby spinach. I think this pizza would also be great with some prosciutto or some sausage.

3 comments:

Nicky said...

Looks delicious. You know, I've never made pizza from scratch but I should give it a try sometime. On a similar but different note, you might like this site" www.cookforgood.com

I heard the author on a radio show last week & her ideas sounded great. She basically took on a mission to try and cook "green" for around $5 a day, or less. I'm excited about trying some of her recipes and meal plans!

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing that link, Nicky. I'll have to check that out - - I'm always looking for new recipes, and I like the concept. You'll definitely have to try homemade pizza...once you start, you're sure to get hooked.

Jen F said...

Yum. I've gotta try this. I still make the mozzarella/pesto/carmelized onions one you made when I was in Idaho.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin