Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Wonderful Weekend

My dear friend Jen came all the way to Idaho (from Maine) to visit me for a few days, and what a wonderful visit it was! I am so touched that she took time away from work, and her family, to come spend time with me. Jen is the best, and I have a feeling that she and I will continue to share adventures for years to come.

She arrived last Thursday, and my boys were immediately taken with her (they know a true "kid" person when they see one). Jen had only ever met Camden once, when he was one, and had never met Griffin.

Camden got right down to business in giving Jen a crash-course in all things Titanic. I'm not sure who talked her ear off more over the weekend - - Camden, or me!

On Friday, Camden had school, so Steve took us on a little sight-seeing drive into the hills. We nearly made it to the top of Squaw Butte, but got waylayed by snow and mud.


I loved having the opportunity to show Jen where I live. On Saturday, we left Steve in charge and headed for the Big City by ourselves.


We had a great time shopping, dining, and staying the night at Hotel 43. The next morning, we had a lovely breakfast at my new favorite bistro, La Vie En Rose. Yum!

Then, it was back home to drop the little boys off with their aunt and uncle so that we could visit some of Idaho's wonderful wineries. We thought ahead and brought along a handsome driver so we could really enjoy our wine:


First stop - - Koenig Distillery & Winery. The grounds are beautiful, the wine is fantastic...love this place! We pulled in behind a limo full of 20 or so people, so we had to elbow our way up to the wine bar, but held our own just fine.


Next, we headed over to Ste. Chapelle. The grounds are absolutely breathtaking. This particular winery has a great summer concert series, and it is fun to pack a picnic and head out to the country, sip wine, and listen to music.

On the way home, we made a pit stop at the Karcher Ranch Market for a quick snack, and ended up eating whoopie pies made by gentleman named Wayne, who, as it turns out, is from Maine. He makes a variety of delectable whoopie pies, and there is a little write up about the history of the Maine Whoopie pie, hanging next to the pile of whoopie pies on the counter by the cash register, just as it should be.

The next morning meant packing up and heading to Boise so that Jen could catch her flight home. Camden was not too happy, and had himself a good little cry before having to head off to school, but not before he asked Jen to walk him to his class. We attempted to have lunch with Steve but unfortunately that didn't work out because the Officer's Club was closed when we got there (sorry about that, Jennifer!).

This morning, while Griff and I were at the library, he took it upon himself to tell someone named Jennifer, who happened to be at the library also, that she "isn't the real Jen...the real Jen is on an airplane!" Needless to say, both of my little guys enjoyed their new friend to no end, and are looking forward to seeing her again in June, as am I. We miss you, Jen!

4 comments:

kirsten said...

How awesome! Glad you had such a great time and loved the photos..those wineries look amazing.
would love to see you in Maine on June if you have any time

Jen said...

Aw, what a nice recap! I loved Idaho and spending time with your wonderful family. And I'm so glad to hear that out of all the Jens in the world, I'm the "real" one!

Heather said...

Thanks, Kirsten - we had such fun! Would love to see you in June...why don't we make a plan?

Jen, we all miss you and were so happy to have you spend time with us. As for me, it was much-overdue girl time, and I wouldn't have wanted to spend it with anyone else. See you soon!

Cheryl said...

Wow, sounds like a wonderful visit for all of you. What fun it must have been to have a "girl's day" and then the visits to vinerys-awesome. How nice to have your very own "driver" indeed.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin