Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Something to Try: Homemade Pancake Syrup

I don't know about you, but we go through quite a bit of pancake syrup in this house. I have two little boys who love nothing more than homemade waffles and pancakes. While I love pure maple syrup, it isn't exactly cost-effective, at the rate we use it. I was so happy to find a recipe for homemade pancake syrup on one of my favorite blogs recently, so I thought I would give it a try. It did not disappoint! Don't be scared by the amount of sugar in the recipe -- keep in mind this is syrup, for goodness sakes! Syrup has lots of sugar, people! Everything in moderation, folks. Please feel free, however, to be scared when you read the list of ingredients on the back of a bottle of pancake and waffle syrup from your local market (ahem...high fructose corn syrup, cellulose gum, salt, artificial flavors, sodium hexametaphosphate...huh?). I just love the slight hint of molasses flavor in this syrup...so good. I'm pretty sure I'll never buy pancake syrup again!

*I had to add a photo of this little set that I recently thrifted...I love these little pitchers so much I could kiss them all over. One for butter, one for batter, one for syrup. So retro and so cute, in my opinion, of course! I can't wait to use them tomorrow morning!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

This homemade syrup thing sounds like something I could do!! Short ingredients list = small clean up factor! Like you, I'm always disturbed by how much JUNK is in artificial syrup and the only alternative seemed to be the pure maple syrup (cha-ching!). Let us know how the boys like it, will you?

Heather said...

Lisa - The boys LOVE this syrup. It isn't as thick as store-bought syrup (but it's not too thin, either) so I find that we use less of it since its not so thick.

Cheryl said...

Love the little set!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin