Thursday, July 10, 2008

As Summer Speeds By...

...I'm finding it difficult to steal away a few moments of time to myself to be able to write. I have the best intentions every week and then the next thing I know, days have past and my blog is nice and stale, once again. I'll have to see what I can do about that.

Camden did not pass Level One swimming, but I am so proud of the progress he's made! We tried swimming lessons at the Y last year, but he just wasn't ready. So, we tried again this year at the city pool, and he's doing great. We just started the second session, and this time, Griffin and I are taking a class together, too. Griffin makes me a bit nervous because he does NOT want any help - - he wants to jump off the side of the pool by himself, he doesn't want me holding him, etc. He thinks he can just take off and swim, and while I am glad he is eager, it stresses me out!

For some reason, by the time we are done with swimming lessons in the morning, I feel like the day is almost over and I am all thrown off. I have a hard time staying organized without ANY extra-curricular activity, so this is just another adjustment phase for me. All is not lost though - - I'm happy to report that I've been doing a lot of "clearing of the clutter", as well as a home-improvement project or two. More on that in the coming days...

The boys and I hit the farmer's market yesterday, and I'm happy to say that there are finally a few more vendors there. For a few weeks now, it has just been a couple of people, and little to no veggies. Yesterday, we made quite a haul:

I steamed some peas with dinner, and cut up some of the fresh carrots. For dessert, fresh boysenberries with whipped cream. Yum. My goal is to rely on the farmer's market (as well as my tomato and bell pepper plants, which are thriving, thank you very much) and not buy any vegetables from the grocery store in the coming months. Frankly, it is kind of scary any more (*ahem* salmonella, anyone?) to buy produce at the grocery store, not to mention the fact that most of it is coated with who-knows-what. Most of all, I really like supporting my local farmers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back! Love the new photo...

kirsten said...

Love your header photo on the blog..and so agree with you about Farmer Markets.

Melissa said...

It's hard to keep up with anything in the summer! I haven't established much of a routine, with schedule changes and all. It's tough!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin