Monday, December 18, 2006

The Sounds of Christmas

I'm talking about Christmas music, folks. I think I have a slight addiction to it. I often wonder if Steve cringes when he comes home at night, because for the month of December, there is usually Christmas music playing throughout the house. I can't help it - - I love it. I have quite a collection going at this point in my life, but here are a few of my favorites:
  • The soundtrack to the movie, "Elf". If you haven't seen this movie, I think it is worth renting. Cute holiday story, and I love Will Farrell anyway. My favorite song on this particular CD is, "Baby, Its Cold Outside"
  • "White Christmas"/Martina McBride - this one is full of all the classics, and my favorite is her version of "O Holy Night"
  • "A Scottish Christmas" - this one is traditional Scottish carols, wassail tunes, etc., all done on bagpipe. I'm sure it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I love it
  • "When My Heart Finds Christmas"/Harry Connick, Jr. - this is a must-have as far as I'm concerned, if you are obsessed with Christmas music like I am. Best track: "It Must've Been Ol' Santa Claus
  • "A Christmas Together"/John Denver and the Muppets - uh-huh, THE Muppets. This was an album (yes, an actual record album) that we had growing up. Now I have it on CD and love it as much, if not more, than I did back then. This year, Camden has decided he loves it, too. The other day while it was playing, he sat in the recliner and listened to the whole thing.

Some honorable mentions would include a mix that my father made me of Charlie Zahm, then of course Peggy Lee, Elvis, Willie Nelson...who am I kidding - - if someone is singing Christmas carols, I generally love it. If you are having a hard time "getting in the mood" for Christmas this year, just play some Christmas music and you won't be able to help but feel festive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I start the 1st of December and do not stop till the day of Christmas playing my christmas songs. I love Celine Dione Christmas CD and Neil Diamond. I am going to see Martina McBride tonight in concert for her Christmas Concert and she will be singing "It's Cold outside" with Dean Martin. Technology is great! Your Christmas photo was great and again you have two handsome boys...enjoy the hectic moments as you will soon be saying "Christmas isn't the same, their all grown up". Though I have such a ball for Christmas that my teenagers, (young adults) will probably hope someday I will calm down! Nope! Santa lives on! Happy Holidays Heather it's all worth it!
Susie

Joy said...

YES YES YES! This is me, too! From Thanksgiving on it's playing!!! I'll get in the car after Roy's been driving and can't believe he actually changed the station to the NON-Christmas music ones!!! Horrors if you ask me.

My favorite right now is a big-band collection from Kathy Trocolli.

Anonymous said...

I just purchased Il Divo's "The Christmas Collection" and love it. Also, I enjoy all of Mannheim Steamroller's Christmas CD's and Alan Jackson's "Let It Be Christmas" CD, especially the title song. Of course, you can't beat Elvis's voice for singing Christmas carols.

I'm thinking often of a special little boy who must be just about beside himself as Christmas draws near. How is he holding up? And how is his little brother? And how is their mom holding up?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin