Friday, May 28, 2010

Homemade Bagels


I use to make bagels quite frequently, before I had children. For some reason, after I had Camden, I'd decided that I couldn't possibly make bagels anymore, because I had a child to look after. A couple of days ago it dawned on me that I should whip up a batch, because really, they are a cinch to make (especially if you have a bread machine). It cracks me up sometimes, when I think of the things that I thought I couldn't accomplish when I had one child, because now I have two and I get twice as much done. Weird. Anyway, onto the recipe...

Ingredients
1 cup warm water 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
3 cups bread flour
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

*****************************************

3 quarts boiling water
3 tablespoons white sugar

1 tablespoon cornmeal
1 egg white
3 tablespoons poppy seeds, sesame seeds, Asiago cheese...whatever toppings you like!

Select the dough setting on your bread machine. Place water, salt, sugar, flour and yeast in the bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. When cycle is complete, let dough rest on a lightly floured surface. Cut dough into 12 equal pieces, flatten, and then form each piece into a small ball. Flatten balls. Poke a hole in the middle of each with your thumb. Twirl the dough on your finger or thumb to enlarge the hole, and to even out the dough around the hole. Cover bagels with a clean cloth, and let rest on your lightly floured surface (such as a large cutting board or counter top) for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Stir in 3 tablespoons of white sugar.
Sprinkle an ungreased baking sheet with cornmeal. Carefully transfer bagels to boiling water, 3 or 4 at a time. Boil for 1 minute, turning half way through. Gently lift each bagel from the boiling water (I used a slotted spoon). Drain briefly on clean towel. Arrange boiled bagels on baking sheet. Glaze tops with egg white, and sprinkle with your choice of toppings.
Bake in a preheated 375 degree F (190 degrees C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until well browned.

Note: If you're looking to make gargantuan-sized bagels, then maybe cut back to 9. If you divide the dough into 12 equal pieces, you will get small bagels.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow. I think I could actually do this :)

Heather said...

I think they are fun to make, Lisa. Try them...you can do it!

Momma Bird said...

Man you are amazing Heather! If I could only do a quarter of what you do!

Heather said...

Oh Jenn...there is a TON that I never get done - - I just write about the fun stuff here! :)

Momma Bird said...

Gave your blog an award...check out my post about it if you want.

http://thehysons.blogspot.com/2010/06/trendy.html

Blog Widget by LinkWithin