Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sponge Stamps

It has been a little nutty around these parts. I've been ill for a better part of the week, and we are currently on Week Two of Steve's 3-week absence, but I digress. I sat down about 45 minutes ago to compose a blog post, and in that time I've been stopped no less than 15 times to: console a weepy child (that would be Griffin), put a stop to sibling bickering, make lunch, clean Moon Sand off the floor, break up another bickering match, clean Moon Sand off little hands (note: Moon Sand is messy!), redirect a begging dog out of the kitchen (at least 5 times), etc.. Alas, nothing different than what any other mother does on a daily basis, but the constant side-tracking takes any inspiration I may have had to write, and tosses it right out the window. I'm determined to soldier on though, and get something new written. So, here we go.

The boys had the itch to do some painting this morning, so I took the opportunity to finally make some sponge stamps for them. I saw this idea in a magazine, probably two years ago, so I tore the page out and put it in my "idea" file. I'm really good at collecting ideas, but not as good at executing them (see above paragraph as to why).

All you need for this project is a hot glue gun (a mom's best friend, if you ask me), some assorted plastic caps (from detergent bottles, medicine bottles, or any other kind that are easy for little hands to grasp), a package of dish sponges, and a pair of scissors.


Cut the sponges out in various shapes, and then glue them to the tops of your caps. Voila! Sponge stamps.

(I know, I know...you wish you had mustard-yellow-speckled a-la-1970's tile counter tops like mine. Don't try to deny it)


These were a huge hit with the boys. They wash up easily, and I think we'll be getting a lot of use out of them, whenever we paint.

5 comments:

Kate D. said...

I used to have those same mustard speckled tiles as my kitchen backsplash. I wasn't sad to see them go.

Heather said...

Mine are the counters and backsplash. I've tried to brighten up the kitchen to detract from the tile ugliness. They are also a pain to keep clean!

Jen said...

Great idea, Heather. I may have to steal this : )

Momma Bird said...

What a simple and great idea! I knew about the sponge stamps but I hadn't heard about sticking caps to them for use!

Cheryl said...

Neat idea Heather. You are so clever...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin