Wednesday, May 27, 2009

How Does My Garden Grow?

...I have no idea, really. It must be a horticultural miracle. There is really no other explanation. Steve's known me long enough now that I'm quite certain he rolls his eyes, whenever I bring a new plant home. This is because he knows it will be dead within a month, most likely because I will forget to water the poor thing.

As for gardening - - I love the "idea" of it, but have never attempted it, due to the reason mentioned above. For the past couple of years I've attempted herbs and tomato plants, but have yet to eat a tomato from said tomato plants (the victims of "cyclical watering", causing every tomato on the plant to split open), and my herbs have usually shriveled up and died.

Anyway...I asked Steve to build me a raised bed this year, and after it was completed, I fretted for a couple of weeks, wondering what I'd gotten myself into. Soon, I found myself buying seed packets, as well as some seedlings, and got down to business. I really had no clue what I was doing, but as luck would have it, I have two avid gardeners in my life (hi Terri! hi Kasey!) and they have answered a slew of novice gardening questions for me. The result? My garden is actually growing. Fabulously. I just can't believe it. For some reason, my little garden brings me lots of satisfaction, relaxation, and serenity. I look forward to getting out there each day to weed, water, and check the progress of all of those little plants. If all goes well, maybe I'll have a second raised bed next year.

What am I growing, you ask? Basil, rosemary, radishes, carrots, jalapeno peppers, onions, cucumbers, some assorted flowers, tomatoes, and lettuce. I seriously cannot wait to eat something from my garden...by the looks of things at the moment, it will most likely be a radish. I have a little tomato experiment cooking, and I'll share that with you next Tuesday.

3 comments:

Jean said...

Your garden is looking good, Heather. I'm trying a tomato experiment this year, too: I'll put a banana peel in each hole I dig for the tomato plants. Supposedly this will cause the plant to produce like the dickens. Hope so, anyway. If hornworms visit your area, be on the look-out for them on your tomato plants in a month or so (in August here). They're big, vile, disgusting things which love to devour tomato plant stems and leaves.

Melissa said...

I love your garden - it's perfectly groomed! My garden, at the moment, is not....I can't seem to get a break with the rain to finish weeding it!

You'll soon be enjoying the fruits (and veggies!) of your labor!

Cheryl said...

That is a great looking garden Heather. I really like the raised bed idea. I, too love to be out in my flower garden weeding and watering. Its relaxing to me. Must be a "nurturing" thing!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin